Change 11: Learning in Times of Abundance
The coming week, I will be ‘facilitating’ a #change 11 session on ‘learning in time of abundance’…
I put ‘facilitating’ between quotes, because I am not completely sure what will happen or what I’m supposed to do – kind of like what often happens to me in Real Life too 😉 … As in most courses I ‘teach’, I expect that I will be the one who learns most…
What I mean with the term abundance is that, for most of us, we now live in a world of plenty, mostly as a consequence of Moore’s law and its many variations regarding processing power, memory capacity, network connections, etc.
- One result is that we are now more connected than ever before.
- We are connected to the digital networks, with bandwidth available virtually everywhere.
- We are connected to information, to the extent that it has become as much a problem as an affordance in the form of information overload or filter failure.
- We are connected to one another, through email (40 years old), mobile messaging, and of course social media.
- We are connected to all sorts of things, sensors that can track much of what we do, in a quantified self kind of way (see also the Copenhagen Wheel, the jawbone up, runkeeper, etc.).